Global immigration update for Russia, Qatar and more
Effective January 1, 2023, the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) will introduce the new “Overseas Networks & Expertise Pass” enabling top talents across all sectors to have a personalized pass tied to themselves individually. Details on the application process will be released by the MOM closer to January 1, 2023.
Candidates must meet any of the following criteria:
- Current Work Pass Holders and Overseas Candidates can apply provided they meet the salary criteria below:
- Earning a Fixed Monthly Salary of at least SGD$ 30,000 or its equivalent in foreign currency within the last year.
- Will be earning Fixed Monthly Salary of at least SGD$ 30,000 for future employment at the Singapore Sponsor Company.
- If falling into the Outstanding Achievements in the Arts and Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Academia, and Research category, this will apply even if the candidate does not meet the salary criteria.
Further information about the new applications and renewal under these criteria will be advised by the MOM closer to January 1, 2023.
- Initial applications will be approved for a period of five years.
- Renewal: Subsequent renewals will be valid for five years if still meeting the criteria.
Renewal: To be eligible for renewal, the pass holder must meet either of the following:
- Candidate must have earned a Fixed Monthly Salary of at least SGD$ 30,000 on average over the past five years in Singapore.
- Started and operating a Singapore-based company that employs at least five locals, each earning at least SGD$ 5,000 (pegged to the EP minimum qualifying salary).
Additional immigration related updates
Changes to the Salary Criteria for Fair Consideration Framework (FCF) Jobs Bank Advertisement exemption and Personalized Employment Pass (PEP): Effective September 1, 2023, the salary benchmark for exemption to FCF Jobs Bank Advertisement and the upcoming Complementarity Assessment Framework (COMPASS) will now be raised from SGDF$ 20,000 into SGD$ 22,500. This salary threshold will also be applicable for the PEP applications wherein from SGD$ 12,000 (existing Pass Holder)/SGD$ 18,000 (overseas candidate) will now be SGD$ 22,500. As per MOM, they will review these thresholds annually taking into consideration the prevailing economic conditions.
Changes to the FCF Jobs Bank Advertisement Duration of Posting Requirement: For all Employment Pass (EP) applications, the FCF Jobs Bank Advertisement duration of posting will now be back to 14 days (from 28 days) effective September 1, 2022.
Improvement of the Processing Period: For all EP applications, with immediate effect processing period for the 85% of online applications are processed within three weeks, or an update will be given by the MOM to the employers within ten business days.
Introduction of the five-year EP Duration for Experienced Tech Professionals
MOM will introduce the five-year duration for EP for candidates who meets the following criteria:
- Fill specific Tech Occupation on the COMPASS Shortage Occupation List (SOL);
- Earn a Fixed Monthly Salary of at least SGD$ 10,500 (older candidates need higher salaries to qualify); and
- Pass COMPASS and score at least 10 points to the Diversity criteria.
This summary was prepared using information obtained from the Ministry of ManPower (MOP).
The government of Taiwan announced that the visa-exempt entry for nationals of US, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, European countries will be reinstated from September 12, 2022.
This summary was prepared using information the Government of Taiwan.
Disclaimer: The above information is provided for general information purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. If you have any further inquiries regarding the applicability of this information, please contact Debra Jane Beynon, Regional Immigration Manager (APAC).
Due to the upcoming FIFA 2022 World Cup, it is noted that the Qatar’s Immigration department is currently rejecting family visa requests (for both visit and residency purposes), for the following job designations:
- Technician (All types)
- General supervisor
Other job designations might be affected at any given time, without prior notice. It is also expected the service for the mention job designations to resume after the World Cup.
This summary was prepared using information obtained from the Crown UAE Office.
The decision to fully suspend the Visa Facilitation Agreement with Russia has been made by the EU Ministers of Foreign Affairs. Due to this suspension, it will be more difficult, expensive, and time-consuming for Russian citizens to get a Schengen Visa. Russian citizens will still be able to apply for a Schengen visa but stricter approval criteria are expected.
This summary was prepared using information obtained from Reuters.
Foreign nationals attending the 2022 World Cup may apply for multiple-entry tourist visas. Effective November 1, foreigners with a “Hayya Card” (also called “Fan ID”: a personalised document that is issued to and required by every person attending any of the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ matches), may apply for a multiple-entry tourist visa to enter Qatar and remain in the UAE for up to 90 days. Multiple-entry tourist visa holders can apply for an extra 90-day extension and travel as long as their visa is still in effect. Moreover, visitors will not be required to fly to Qatar before entering the UAE.
This summary was prepared using information obtained from the Khaleej Times.
Disclaimer: The above information is provided for general information purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. If you have any further inquiries regarding the applicability of this information, please contact Roberta Carnaccini (Global Operations Director).
We track policy changes in over 120 countries. Find out how we can help you in this short video.