Traveling over the holidays?

If you are spending the holiday season abroad, now is the time to consider a few international travel tips. With a little advance preparation, you may be able to minimize stress and avoid unexpected delays.

Spending Christmas in New York?

Holiday travel tip

  • Check that your passport is up-to-date and valid for at least six (6) months beyond the date of entry.

  • Check that you have the required visa
    Foreign nationals residing in the U.S. and traveling abroad should check the validity of their U.S. visas to make sure they have enough time to re-enter the U.S. before the expiration date. Foreign nationals traveling to the U.S. from abroad should consult the U.S. Embassy, or Consulate in the country they reside in for the appropriate visa.

  • Security checks at the airport
    During the busy holiday season, travelers should arrive at least two hours before departure to allow adequate time for security checks at the airport. The U.S Department of Homeland Security Transportation Security app, “My TSA mobile application” provides airline passengers with 24/7 access to the most frequently requested airport security information on any mobile device.

  • Be aware of travel warnings
    Check the U.S. Department of State’s website for travel warnings and alerts for your destination.  

Heading to Hong Kong for New Years?

  • Check if you are eligible for visa-free entry
    Over 100 nationals going to Hong Kong as visitors can enjoy a visa-free period from 14 to 180 days. The Hong Kong immigration website if you are required to apply for a visa to enter Hong Kong, based on the nationality of your passport. Your passport should have at least six (6) months validity with two blank pages remaining.

  • Ensure your landing slip is retained in your passport
    The Hong Kong Immigration Department will issue you with a landing slip upon entry to Hong Kong. Ensure the landing slip is stapled to your passport, and keep it safe throughout the duration of your stay in Hong Kong. It may cause departure delay when leaving Hong Kong if you lose the slip.

  • Abide by Conditions of Stay
    Visitors in Hong Kong are not allowed to engage in employment of any kind, whether the employment is paid or unpaid. 

Departing Paris or Amsterdam for other destinations?

  • Check that your passport is up-to-date and valid for at least six (6) months beyond the date of entry.

  • Check that you have the required visa
    If your Residence Permit has expired and your renewal is still processing before departing The Netherlands, make sure you have a Return Visa. You can apply for a Return Visa at the IND for a fee of EUR 142. It will be issued on the same day and valid for 90 days. You can then travel in and out of the country with your passport. If you have a visa-free nationality, a Return Visa is not required. Please make sure that someone is monitoring your mail if you have a pending application because if the IND require additional information, they will send you a letter. Any additional documents must be sent in either two or four weeks.

    Before departing France, check that your French Residence Permit/Visa does not expire during your holiday and expected return to France. It’s also important to verify the destination country’s visa requirements. If you have children, a Circulation document is required prior to their travel abroad.

Enjoy your travels, be safe and happy holidays!